Intensive - Making an Artisan Briar Pipe
Receive detailed hands-on training from Artisan Briar Pipe Maker David S. Huber in this three day intensive. We'll cover every aspect of making an artisan briar pipe, including freehand shaping and drilling, turning a billiard, making a handmade mouthpiece from ebonite rod, and finishing smooth and sandblasted pipes. By booking this intensive, you'll save $150 when compared to booking all 4 sessions individually.
By the end of this intensive, you will know all you need to know to make excellent pipes. Each day lasts for 8 hours and includes a 30 minute break for lunch. Materials are included in the price of the class.
David has studied with many of the world's most experienced and respected Artisan Pipe Makers, learned the processes used by the masters, and modified those processes for his own workshop. With knowledge and experience like this, he can help you to dramatically improve your pipe making, no matter your experience level.
Actual dates are flexible and can be adjusted after booking, depending on availability. Details for each lesson can be found below.
*Note: In person classes require proof of vaccination against the novel Coronavirus, COVID-19.
Freehand Shaping and Drilling
Learn how to shape and drill a briar pipe using David’s freehand, shape first method which he developed after his study sessions with American Master Craftsman Jeff Gracik and Danish Master Craftswoman Nanna Ivarsson.
- Reading a block of briar prior to and during the freehand shaping process
- Isolating the best grain pattern within any block
- Designing a pipe on the fly, working with each unique block of wood
- Drilling a pipe that you've shaped by hand
- Fitting a brass ring for a tapered mortise
- Refining your pipe and prepare it for finishing after drilling
Turning and Drilling a Straight Billiard
Learn to turn and drill a Straight Billiard pipe using the method David learned from Master Craftsmen Hans “Former” Nielsen and Jess Chonowitsch.
- Reading a block of briar
- Aligning the grain pattern within a briar block to your desired orientation
- Squaring a briar block prior to placing it in a briar chuck
- Further preparing a briar block for turning
- Fitting a prepared briar block into a briar chuck
- Turning and drilling a Straight Billiard on a metal lathe
- Making your own chamber drill bits at home
Make a Handmade Mouthpiece from Undrilled Ebonite Rod
Learn how to create a handmade mouthpiece from raw ebonite rod.
- Deciding the length of any mouthpiece before cutting a piece from a raw rod
- Gauging proportions between any mouthpiece and a briar stummel
- Turning, drilling, and fitting a mouthpiece to a briar stummel
- Refining and finishing a mouthpiece by hand
Finishing Smooth and Sandblasted Pipes
Learn how to create a stunning finish on a smooth or sandblasted pipe.
- Preparing the surface of any pipe for textured or smooth finishing
- Sandblasting a pipe for a textured finish
- Staining and finishing smooth and sandblasted pipes
- David S. Huber
- (412) 228-0206